I keep thinking back to their book of historic newspaper headlines--the one dated July 21, 1969 reads something like "HOLY CRAP Man Walks on Freakin' Moon!" (I've censored the actual headline for our sensitive readers--no copyright infringement intended.)
Anyway, that's how I feel this week. I FINALLY BROKE 200!!! I'm at 198--finally! I walk around all day being nice and saying well-scripted things like "One giant step for mankind" and such, but inside I'm really thinking "Holy crap! I broke 200!"
So I suppose this is a great day for my monthly recap:
Current weight: 198
BMI: 28.41 (still in the overweight category)
Pant size: Still in an 18 but they're baggy! (Could zip the 16's but not they're too tight. I looked far beyond a muffin top--closer to an exploding bakery. But I can pull the 18's down without unbuttoning them!)
Lost pounds: 20
Still to go: 33 lbs.
Well, I'm about a month behind my intended schedule, but that's okay. I just had a rough go awhile back. I'm currently losing 1-2 lbs. per week which is very healthy. AND I'm not giving up eating out or any of my favorite foods. I'm just conquering portion control and emotional eating.
The hard part is maintaining exercise. Boy, howdy! Retail sure takes a lot out of me physically. You'd think that standing around all day would be easy, but I'm exhausted at the end of the day. It is getting easier--I'm not quite as worn out when I get home. But the thought of having to go exercise--even taking a walk in the gorgeous evening weather--is just too much.
And I'm okay with that. I've only been working for a month. I'm sure I'll have adapted before the summer is out. I just have such a hard time understanding that my body is broken. It was good to hear this from my doctor--I have such a habit of blaming myself for not being able to meet my high expectations. (I mean, good heavens! I was beating myself up for being out of shape when it turns out I was dying.) Of course, I WAS out of shape--you know---just sayin'.
A-ha ha ha ha ha!
Here's the awesome part, though--I fit into a MEDIUM in maternity clothes!!! I have to buy an extra-large in everything else! But I bought a MEDIUM dress and some MEDIUM tank tops at work. SO COOL!! Of course, I wasn't able to purchase any blouses at work--for some reason, they all made me look pregnant. Ah well. At least I won't be tempted to spend half of my paycheck at work.
So in my excitement to be--what?--two-fifths of the way to my goal--I'll share with you some of the things that keep me going.
1. Chin up. If you know me, you know that I'm eternally optimistic. Sometimes annoying so. I just really do believe that everything happens for a reason and that everything magically works out in the end. Staying positive and looking at the bright--and the funny--sides of things help me through the tough days.
2. "Do you really want that?" I've found that when I'm not allowed to eat something, I only want it more. I know this is nothing new--just spend a day with a two-year-old. I think a lot of our independence or self-identity is wrapped up in our ability to have free will and make our own choices. Telling me I can't have something doesn't bode well because my "Where there's a Will, there's a Way" temperament kicks into gear.
So instead, I have given myself permission to eat anything I want and in whatever quantity I want. Now that I'm much more attuned to my calorie consumption, I don't really use the Daily Plate as often as I did when I was training myself to really pay attention to my eating habits. So I don't have to tell myself "No more" as often. This works out great--I'll use soda as an example.
I LOVED soda. And I truly was addicted. I would crave it at certain times of the day. I would wake up, have a soda. Head to work--with a soda. Start work--with a soda. Eat lunch--with a soda. Come home to a much anticipated soda. Drink soda all night, and have the last bit with ice on my bedside table. Now, I look at the ice-cold frosty can of bubbly sweet refreshment and ask myself, "Do you really want one? Because if you do, you can have it." Then I really do think about whether my body wants it. My tongue is the last great rebellious force, but the rest of me just says, "Nah."
I'm finding that even my old favorites like baked goods--man I love sweets--don't taste very good anymore. And they leave me feeling yucky afterward. I've been reducing my portions to a little sliver for holidays and celebrations--and even then, most of the time I'd rather have a little more dinner than dessert. (I'm okay. Really. I know this may be shocking for some of you to hear.)
3. Keep healthy foods handy so that cravings can be met quickly AND healthfully. Now that I can expand my vitamin K consumption again, I can eat soybeans. When I've got salt cravings, I have pre-portioned tupperware bowls of edamame in the freezer. A minute in the microwave and a little sea salt on top and I've got a healthy snack. Eating the beans out of the shells also works to curb the "must consume things" physical cravings that I feel in front of the TV or computer.
And it's been two months--or more?--I've stopped counting--since I've had soda or aspartame. I'm eating fewer processed foods--except cold cereal. (I still want my mini-wheats!) But frozen dinners and stuff that comes in a bag have made way for homemade meals. The key is to have them prepared and portioned for easy and fast consumption. I don't have time or energy to cook after work. So I use my days off to prepare lunches and dinners for the week ahead. It's really easy to make casseroles and then freeze them in individual containers. Same with soups. I'll have two or three different meals going at once on my day off so that I don't have cook anymore during the week. I also pre-cut my fruits and veggies so that they're handy.
4. Expect to take home half of the restaurant portion. Whenever we eat out--which is such a treat for me--I know that I'm going to have at least 1 if not 2 meals left over that are great to take to work for my lunch. I think about saving money and not having to cook something for lunch and I feel happy to have leftovers. And instead of thinking about how hard it is to stop eating because it tastes so good, I think about how yummy my lunch will be.
5. Listen to your body. It will tell you when you're full. And it's okay to leave a few bites--don't feel that you have to clean your plate. Either throw them in the fridge or just toss them, knowing that you're caring for your body, not wasting food. (Easier said than done, I know. Especially when it tastes really good.)
So I wish great health to all and I look forward to my next month's weigh in! And in the meantime, I'll be walking on the moon!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment